The growth of your e-commerce business hinges in great part on your website’s design and content. In particular, your product descriptions must be superb. You can ensure your e-commerce site stands out from the competition by preparing organized product descriptions that include high-resolution photos.
Below are 10 tips for writing product copy for your e-commerce site:
1. Include clear product photos. Photos are critical to the success of your e-commerce site. They provide a visual representation of your products and help convince shoppers to complete a purchase. Here are some guidelines for including photos:
- Make sure photos are clear and taken with a high-resolution camera
- Include a series of photos that show each product from multiple angles
- Provide photos of standard accessories that are included in the purchase price
- Entice shoppers to purchase by featuring products in a variety of attractive settings
2. Feature product videos whenever possible. Over 70% of top online retail sites use video to showcase products. Videos bring life to inanimate products and show how movement enhances clothing and accessories. They also give you an edge over your competitors by keeping shoppers engaged.
3. Use bullet points to highlight key specifications. A user-friendly product description is essential for attracting and maintaining the attention of shoppers. Bullet points are effective for product descriptions because they accomplish the following:
- They break down content into chunks that are easy to understand
- Product descriptions that use bullet points are more organized and easier on the eyes
- Bullet points can be listed in order of importance to ensure that shoppers read key information first
4. Do not ignore the importance of keywords. Including relevant keywords in your product descriptions is important because they lure prospective shoppers to your e-commerce site. Asking your customers which words and phrases they use when they conduct a search is a great way to enhance your product descriptions with powerful keywords.
5. Include product weights and dimensions. Shoppers who visit your site need to know whether your products will fit their spatial constraints. As you provide weights and dimensions, be sure to note the unit of measure used. This is especially important if you have an international customer base.
6. Feature models, especially when selling clothing. Using models to display clothing products is effective for multiple reasons, including the following:
- Customers can envision how they might look in an article of clothing
- Shoppers can visualize how a product would look in their home or office
- Customers can see whether clothing will flatter a particular body type
7. Reference shipping options. Customers vary greatly in terms of their delivery needs. Outline all shipping options to allow your customers to choose the option that best meets their time constraints and budget. Make sure customers are aware of any additional costs that may apply with expedited shipping.
8. Notify customers if items are on backorder or out of stock. Few things are more frustrating to shoppers than placing an order and later learning that the product they purchased is not available. You can bolster your customer retention by notifying customers right away with a banner if a product is out of stock or in short supply.
9. List comparable product alternatives for customers to consider. Sometimes it is simply impossible to avoid backorders. In these cases, you can sometimes avoid customer abandonment by listing similar products that are comparable in price and readily available for shipment.
10. Reference your return policy. One of the best ways you can boost your repeat business is to successfully manage product returns. While a detailed description of your return policy is not needed within your product descriptions, you should provide a link to your return policy and let customers know you have a customer-friendly return process.
For more tips on preparing product copy for e-commerce sites, please contact us. We look forward to helping you enhance your product descriptions with our professional WordPress website design and development services, including WooCommerce e-commerce stores.